Saturday 12 February 2011

Spinal Tap: Classic Albums

Let's go off topic for a moment, shall we...

Here's a little experiment you can do at home. Invite three or more musicians over thirty to a dinner party (after first concealing your valuables and putting a combination lock on the drinks cabinet). Get the conversation around to the movies...I guarantee that in less than five minutes, one of them will mention 'This is Spinal Tap'. The rest of the evening will consist of nothing more than endless quotes from the film, followed by drunken demands to watch it. Half way through the film, (if you're brave or daft enough to run it) the Drummer will have passed out (possibly in a pool of his own fluids), the Guitarist will be pausing the movie and saying things like 'I had one of those...nice action' and the Bassist will have left with the rest of the snacks and whatever valuables he could fill his pockets with.

Time and over-familiarity have slightly diminished the whole Spinal Tap thing, but when it first came out, it sent shock waves around musical circles. I saw it (along with three other people) at The Triangle in Birmingham on its release and it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. I can't help but giggle whenever I hear about pieces written in D minor...

Anyway, to get to the point, this is a fake 'Classic Albums' radio broadcast, featuring 'The Black Album' hosted by BBC Radio One's Richard Skinner. It's played absolutely straight and features, Derek, Nigel and David in conversation about their greatest achievements. It was issued on a promo cassette at the time of 'Break Like The Wind'. It's funny as hell. And here it is.

And don't forget...'You can't dust for vomit...'


SPINAL TAP; Classic Albums

Chat
Hell Hole
Chat
Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight
Chat
Heavy Duty
Chat
Rock And Roll Creation
Chat
America
Chat
Cups And Cakes
Chat
Stonehenge
Chat
Gimme Some Money
Chat
Listen To The Flower Peole

5 comments:

  1. I saw it in a fleapit in Oxford when it finally got a release (I remember Barry Norman loved it). Double feature with Eraserhead and supported by a folk singer busking badly. Funniest night of my life and nicked the film posters on the way out. Yes, still my favourite movie of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...sounds like the best movie experience of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny shit. Thanks for sharing.

    RF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puts the whole thing into perspective ... too much fucking perspective.

    Anyone who's got the legendary triple album (yes, it really exists), contact me right away.

    (I'd love to stay and talk, but i have to go sit in the lobby and wait for the limo ...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well since my baby left me....


    thank you.

    ReplyDelete